Gluten Free Citrus Olive Oil Cake
Prep TIme: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
4 Large citrus fruits of your choice (navel oranges, blood oranges, tangelo, pomelo, kumquats, grapefruit etc.)
1 ¼ cups EMMA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ cup + 1 cup Sugar
2 cups Gluten Free Flour
1/3 cup Almond Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Kosher Salt
3 tbsp Citrus Juice
1 tbsp Citrus Zest
2 tsp Vanilla Paste
3 Large Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch, non-stick springform pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Rinse the citrus fruit with hot water, scrub the outer skin to remove any dirt or imperfections. With the skin still on, slice citrus 1/2 cm thick.
- Microwave ½ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water together until the sugar dissolves completely, about 45 seconds. Pour half of the sugar-water into the bottom of the prepared cake pan, then line the bottom with prepared citrus fruits in one layer. Cut smaller pieces of the citrus to fill in the gaps. Once arranged, pour the remaining sugar-water over the citrus. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, citrus zest, remaining 1 cup of sugar on high speed until thick and pale, approx. 3 minutes. With the mixer still on high speed, stream in the olive oil and beat until incorporated, and the mixture thickens further. Stream in the citrus juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a to combine and eliminate any lumps.
- With the mixer speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients and gently stir until incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the citrus-lined springform pan, and smooth out the top.
- Place the cake in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until top is golden brown, center is firm to the touch, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, approx. 40-50 minutes. Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place a flat dish with a minimum 10-inch diameter over the top of the cake pan. With one hand over the plate, and one hand on the bottom of the springform pan, gently flip so the bottom of the springform pan faces the ceiling. Place it on a flat surface and gently unclip the springform pan and dislodge the cake. Remove the base of the pan off of the top of the cake, as well as the parchment paper. Cut into wedges and serve.
More Recipes from Emma®
We invite you to try this delicious EMMA® Mac & Cheese recipe. Ingredients 1 pkg of EMMA® Fusilli pasta 1 tbsp EMMA® extra virgin olive oil 6 tbsp EMMA® unsalted butter 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 3 cups whole milk 1 cup heavy whipping cream 4 cups EMMA® Asiago...
Prep TIme: 5 minutesCook time: 5 minutesThe dressing can be served warm or at room temperature. Either way, the intense, savoury flavour of the garlic and anchovy stands up nicely against the bitterness of the radicchio. Ingredients 2 tbsp + ¼ cup EMMA Extra Virgin...